So, a hurricane hit Nicaragua yesterday. Luckily not the area I am in, but we still got quite the rainstorm, it has been a torrential downpour for about 48 hours and is supposed to continue for another 48 hours or so. Needless to say with the poor sewage systems, the roads are flooded, I saw a few houses that were below raod level that were flooded with a few feet of water also. Unforunately my room is fairly wet because there are holes in my ceiling so the water gets through, I have just had towels on the floor for the past few days. The upside of this is that it is no longer boiling hot. I actually slept with a real blanket last night and a sweater on top of that. Yesterday and today I also wore long sleeve shirts and today a sweater!
Other than that today is Mothers Day here, and it is a huge deal. There was a lunch party at my house and I bought a cake with the girl who also lived their for a month when she first arrived. Lunch was a Nicaraguan delicacy and I was not told what it was until I was 3/4 done, so naturally I thought better not to think about it and jsut eat it. What was it you ask...........COW TONGUE!! It was not as bad as one would think, it tasted fairly good, but the texture was a little awkward, and the fact that I knew it was a tongue and it looked like a tongue did not make it easier, but I ate it. Tomorrow is cow kidneys...YEAH!!!!! another first for me.
Last night was crazy. Besides the ridiculous rain that was pounding on the tin roof and entering my room, and the crazy winds there were two cats ( I am pretty sure they were cats, but I could be wrong) that were mating outside of my room and it was not pleasant to listen to. It sounded like a baby screaming and was quite disturbing. If that is not enough, at 3:30 am I start hearing this super loud traditional Nicaraguan music. Then I am like wait a second, what the @*%# this is live music. Yes, there was a live 7 piece band with trumpets, accordion, guitars, bass and vocals playing in my house at 3:30 am!!! Apparently its a Mothers Day tradition that one of the kidsof the mom pays a band to go wake the mom up in the middle of the night...and everyone else in the house by default. It was pretty cool, but I am exhausted and was quite taken aback at the time.
Cheers!
-Francisco
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hey Francis!
Looks like you've gotten the full round right away. Wow. I heard about the hurricane. Sorry to hear that your room is flooding. About the noise: seriously see if someone can send you some earplugs from Canada. I had a bar on the other side of my wall and a loud dog next door.
Good luck as you start work this week. Thanks for the posts. Let us all know how things are going.
Melissa
Mm cow tongue...so if you had a cow's tongue in your mouth, does that mean that you made out with a dead cow? :p lol
I laugh when I picture the facial expression you must have had when you were listening to the cats mating...did you think of Lola? Lol
-Jaclyn
that's halirious!
lol, my mother also has a thing for cow tounge and kidneys are not so bad but in my opinion take a little getting used to. but atleast they dont waste edible parts of their animals right?
glad your having fun! cant wait to hear about when you start work,
Post a Comment