Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Oye!

Hello folks! Yikes, this one is a little long, my apologies, but please read!
It’s been a little while since my last post, but no worries, lot’s of updates. Sorry for the lack of pictures, I am not having any success uploading them with the internet connection here. I will keep trying.

The most important thing to say about the last week is that Levaquin is the shit! …actually, to be more precise it is the anti-shit. Levaquin is a super duper anti-biotic meant for diarrhea and respiratory infections. I tried to go without taking it, but after 4-5 days I decided it was time to give in to it, best decision I have made since I have been here. Oh, and in case anyone was wondering, I was not having any respiratory problems *wink*! Yes, too much productive time being lost in the washroom.
Anyways, on a similar note, I developed a weird rash on my right hand, actually just my index finger, kind of got bubbly and stuff, but it is getting better so I’m not worried. Another thing that happened is that I was playing soccer in the street with some kiddies and the ball went into a bush so I went and got it. Me, being the dumbass I am, decided to go get it while I was wearing flipflops, and my feet got attacked by a swarm of red fireants. No emergency or anything, it has happened to me before back in Canada but it still hurts like hell from an hour or two and gets all swollen!!
Ah yes the mishaps are just starting to happen…I can feel more coming on already.

THE RAIN HAS COME!! This has cooled things down a little bit, but not by much, still super hot and there are some tradeoffs to this coolness. The main one is the rain. It is not a little drizzle, it is a torrential downpour which happens either 2 or 3 times a day for an hour or so, or, as occurred this weekend, it last for 3 days. Either way the sewage system here is awful and the roads get flooded after an hour. I like it though, and so do the locals and the farmers. The other tradeoff is that power goes out more often when there is rain. I have got used to the power going out and water being shutoff already though. Although, the other night it was off at very inconvenient time, from 5-9ish, that’s DINNER TIME! Another trade off is that there is a small hole in the roof in my room so I get a puddle of water in the middle of my room.

Last night I got back from Montelimar. This is the only all inclusive resort in Nicaragua, its about 5 hours from Estelí. Yes, it was 5 hours in a micro-bus. Not the most comfortable 5 hours but I got to see a lot of awesome scenery and got to spend a little bit of time in Managua as well. This country has the most amazing scenery. For most of the drive it was mountains and rainforest as far as the eye can see with the occasional lake and huge volcanoes rising up in the background. Truly amazing.

The reason I went to the resort was for “work”. There was an office retreat because everyone (except for me of course) has reports due soon and this retreat was a retreat to systemize (not sure if that’s the word, the verb in Spanish is systemalizar) the report writing and information gathering process so that everyone is on the same page when it comes to writing their reports. So, it poured rain all day Sunday and some of Monday too, but Tuesday was really nice. Sunday afternoon when we got there we just hung out and played volleyball in the pool in the pouring rain and chilled. Monday we had meetings and presentations from 8-2 and then we got to do whatever, and the same with Tuesday, but Tuesday we left at around 3. It was a pretty good few days. All inclusives really are not my thing, I get bored pretty easily but it was good to go through this systemization stuff before I begin work because it allowed me to learn about the report writing process which I will have to do, twice I think, and also it gives me an insight into what the process is like so now I know what to expect and I can prepare myself and my work knowing in advance what information and stuff I will need. Overall it was a good learning experience.
The other awesome thing about the last few days is that it was an awesome, informal atmosphere where I could really get to know the rest of the Oxfam-Quebec staff (all 13 of them) both Canadians and Nicaraguans. I feel a lot more comfortable now as I feel like I know everyone and they know me and we are all comfortable with each other. I’m pretty sure we all like each other too. At least I like them.
Anyways, I have a few Spanish classes left and a little bit of stuff to prepare before I start my work mandate on Monday (I’m assuming Monday is June 2nd, correct me if I am wrong). I am really excited to start work. It has been fun just hanging out and getting to know the people and the town, but I am starting to get a little restless. I know my way around town and have had plenty of time to explore it and see where different things are which is really good and I think it is definitely better than jumping straight into work, but I’m a huge nerd, and ready for work.

I have more to say but I will save it until a day when I have less to write.

Hasta Luego!
-Francisco

No comments: