Monday, May 19, 2008

1st Weekend

So…first weekend in Estelí, Nicaragua! It went well.

Friday night I went out for my birthday/welcome to Nicaragua initiation. Went to 3 bars (only about 5 in the town). The first one we went to we watched the Presidential address by Pres. Ortega in which he announced that the transport strikes and protests were over WOOT WOOT! But…there is a good chance that they will start up again. I spent a lot of my night speaking to a guy who was born in Estelí, but moved to L.A. when he was 6 (he is now 33). He was in a Latin gang (los dieciochos) and this is clearly visible by his gang tattoos. Anyways, long story short he spent 10 years in prison and was thus deported back to Nicaragua 3 years ago. He is no longer in gangs and such and is a really nice guy (prison changed him he says). The other interesting thing that happened is that I never thought that in a country where homosexuality is illegal I would be hit on by a gay guy. When I mean hit on I do not mean he said ‘hi’. This guy fully came on to me, and by this I mean rubbing my shoulders and trying to kiss me!! Needless to say I had to tell him to back off because (not that there is anything wrong with it) it’s just not my thing and I do not need a bad reputation here. Anyways, he keep insisting so my Nicaraguan amigos had to step in (yes, by amigos I mean the ex-con and his friend) but they knew the guy so they told him nicely that to back off. Other than that I had a few cervezas and shared a bottle or two of rum, Flora de Caña, is the Nicaraguan brand and it is one of the best in the world…is it ever!

Saturday I was thinking of going to Managua for a salsa festival but things were still iffy with bussing and the transport strike and we were having trouble finding a hotel…plus I was not feeling too well (got home at 4am and was woken up by the family at 6am) so I opted out of going. In the afternoon I went to Santa Cruz, a small mountainous town about 20 minutes away to visit a friend of the family I am staying with who lives there. The friend owns a small farm in the rolling hills which are nice and cool so I hung out there into the early night and relaxed and took in the scenery and good food and company.

Sunday I relaxed, went for a walk, did not do too much.

Today I started my private Spanish classes, 8:30am-12:30 and then I go into the office at 2pm until whenever to study Spanish and read up and learn about the program I will be working in and such as well as taking care of some logistical stuff like applying for my work visa. That will pretty much be my daily routine for the next 2 weeks (other than weekends) and in 2 weeks I will actually start my work mandate.

The rain season is coming soon! All the locals are excited because it is super super dry and hot right now and the rain will cool things down a little, make everything green and pretty, help the farmers and get rid of the mass amount of dust everywhere.

Cheers!
-Francisco

1 comment:

Tiana R said...

woot for getting settled in! you're getting right into the nightlife eh! haha. have fun!