Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Flash Flooding

So, as you are all aware, it is rain season here. Well, as I was finishing lunch it started to dump rain so I put some towels on my floor as usual (I'm duct taping the holes up when I get back) and then waited for the rain to subside a little bit. It did a little so I grabbed my umbrella (yes Jaclyn, I finally bought an umbrella!) and rain jacket and headed out back to the office. Well, of course as I walk out the door it starts dumping rain again but I figured what the hell it's only a little water and it's not far. HAHA that not so far aspect changed a little bit. My usual 5 minute walk to the office turned into an hour long adventure of being stranded by flooding. Absolute torrential downpour and the streets already had quite a bit of water on them that by the time (4 minutes) that I got to the main intersection before the office the streets were completely flooded with at least 2 feet of water.....no exaggerations.....the dirtbikes could not pass through it and cars were stalling too. So as I see this and the sidewalks are also under water, I have no where to go because where I came from is quickly going under water also, so I duck into the nearest store that had stairs to go into because those that were on ground level were flooded. I wait there with some other castaways for about 20 minutes then I see an opening with only about 6 inches of water so I go for it, I am literally 50 feet from the office at this point and just want to get inside because I am soaking wet. Well, I cross one of the two streets that I need to, now I am directly across the street from the office, but I could not cross the street because there was at least 2 feet of water on it (by the way, by this time I had ducked into another store, standing on a box right outside of it). I wait here for another 20 minutes and watch bikes, motos and cars get stuck and people scrambling. So, a big bus comes by and splashes all this water (on all of us waiting yes) but this makes a bit of a clearing for a minute so me and some others go for it but it was not in the direction of the office but I figured I might as well move, so now I am on a street corner standing on another box just at the entrance of another store and I wait there for about 15 minutes until the water on the road becomes low enough (andI was so wet I just could not care anymore if I got wetter) and then walk the 30 feet left to the office. Well, that is my adventure for the day....unfortunately I did not have my camera, and yes I was absolutely soaked and I missed a meeting I was suposed to have with someone...but she understood because she was even later than me..ahaha, plus this meeting was a makeup because it was supposed to be in the morning but she decided to do other things instead. Ah rain season you are so much fun...makes for a good story thats for sure...I hope it happens again so I can get some pics!
Thanks for listening.

Cheers.

Francisco

2 comments:

Hridi said...

i wonder if that duct taping thing is a good idea.
i am interested in seeing how that one turns out.

Ania K said...

ack, sounds intense! lol good thing you had all those boxes lying around :)